Coffeecake may be a bit of a misnomer, but I’m not complaining. Coffeecake is one of the ultimate comfort desserts or snacks, a perfect combination of cinnamon and moist cake to accompany a hot coffee or chai tea latte (in my case) , on a cold wintry morning. Indeed, this coffeecake comes together so quickly and effortlessly, it might be ready in the time it takes to brew a full pot of morning joe.
Perfect Coffee Cake
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
YIELD: Serves 12
WHAT TO GRAB:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream or low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
HOW YOU DO IT:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream or yogurt. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar until fully mixed. Add the vanilla, and mix until the vanilla is fully incorporated.
4. Grease a tube pan, 9×9-inch pan, or a fluted tart pan. Spread half the batter evenly in the pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter. Pour the remaining batter into the pan, and sprinkle with the remaining topping.
5. Bake the coffeecake for about 30 to 40 minutes (mine was closer to 40 minutes), or until a tester comes out clean. Cool the coffeecake on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove it from the fluted pan and allow it to cool completely. (If you’ve baked it in a 9 x 9-inch pan, just serve it right from the pan.) Serve with your morning tea or coffee!