Here are six tips for making the perfect pancakes:
1. Use a griddle. It’s more efficient and practical than a skillet.
2. Go easy on the mixing. The batter should have some lumps, and over mixing will create tough pancakes.
3. Separate your eggs. Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form, and then incorporate the beaten egg whites. This will really lighten the mixture.
4. Preheat the griddle. The griddle is ready when a few drops of water dance and evaporate quickly.
5. Look for bubbles. The pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles appear on the surface and pop.
6. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. You can keep the earlier batches warm in a 200 degree oven. For extra tenderness, you can brush the pancakes with a little melted butter.