To make a really rich risotto:
1. Use a short-grain rice. Arborio, carnaroli, vialone nano, and sushi are all suitable, though I’ve heard carnaroli is best if you can find it.
2. Do not rinse the grains. Adding moisture too soon will throw off the cooking process.
3. Be consistent with the temperature. It’s important to cook the rice over a constant, medium-low temperature.
4. Do not rush the risotto. Add the broth slowly, adding liquid only after previous ladleful has been fully absorbed.
5. Be patient and keep stirring. Risotta takes some coaxing!