When you think finger food, you think small appetizers sitting on a counter top. Maybe vegetables and dip, or cheese and crackers.
These scary cookies give a whole new meaning to the term “finger food.”
Blood Lady Fingers
Recipe adapted from online
PREP TIME: Requires 30 minutes chilling
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
YIELD: About 30 Cookies
WHAT TO GRAB:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Amaretto
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
3 tablespoons strawberry jelly
1 teaspoon water
HOW YOU DO IT:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, egg, Amaretto, and vanilla extract. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Working in batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until fully incorporated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the strawberry jelly with 1 teaspoon water in a small saucepan. Over low heat, melt the jelly.
4. Working with one quarter of the dough at a time and keeping remainder refrigerated, roll a scant tablespoon full of dough into a thin log shape, about 4″ long for each cookie. Squeeze the dough around the center and close to one end to create knuckle shapes. Keep the logs somewhat skinny, as they tend to expand in the oven.
5. Make a small indentation at one end of the dough. Drop a small bit of jelly onto the indentation, and press an almond slice firmly into the end of the cookie for a nail. With a paring knife, make three slashes at the knuckle.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until pale golden. Allow the fingers to cool on a cooling rack. Pipe black icing onto the knuckles. Serve if you dare!